Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
Job Number: 160307
Internal Job Title: Environ Hlth Sfty Coord Salary Grade: 38 Geo: A 100%
Additional Job Specifications
Please attach your last two performance evaluations to your application profile. This is a Cleveland based position.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator reports to the Corporate Environmental Health and Safety Manager with primary responsibility for assisting in the development and implementation of corporate policy for occupational health, safety, and environmental programs and associated employee training platforms. This role involves coordination of efforts to ensure compliance with federal, state and local environmental health and safety regulations at the individual site-level as well as conformance to industry-wide best practices which is accomplished through effective communication with regulatory authorities, industry peers and other business group departments within Progressive. The impact of this role extends nationally to all business groups to assure our sites and personnel adhere to Progressive’s policies, and applicable regulatory standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of those required on the job. Incumbents may perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Assist in the development and monitor comprehensive corporate-level environmental health and occupational safety program elements for various business groups within Progressive.
- Work with business group management and other supervision to implement these programs at the functional level.
- Support and assists the EHS audit process to identify potential risks and hazards to assure corrective actions are coordinated through completion.
- Provides administrative support for the site-level assessments on specific environmental health issues related to Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) matters.
- Supports the safety culture with all Progressive business operations and outside vendors through various safety and environmental programs and policies.
- Supports other members of the Real Estate Team to review possible EHS concerns in construction or new space design.
- Reviews content from training vendors to assure compliance with Progressive’s programs and regulatory requirements.
- Assist in facilitating for OSHA 10/30 hour, and programs specific to Progressive operations.
- Research safety and environmental regulations to assure Progressive is meeting the compliance requirements of local, state and Federal Laws. This includes but is not limited to providing assistance in EPA reporting for SARA Tier II and Ohio Permit by Rules (PBR).
- Remains current through training/professional development seminars on regulatory issues and changes and best industry practices in environmental, occupational safety and health matters. Apply concepts learned to Progressive environments.
- Responsible for the administration of the EHS SharePoint site. This includes daily updates and maintenance to assure real time accuracy for compliance company wide.
- Responsible for the daily management of work assignments and documentation in the EHS SharePoint site.
- Creates safety related communications to the company. This includes monthly ToolBox Talks, Safety newsletter and job aid documents.
- Responsible for administrative duties necessary to support the EHS operations. This includes, but is not limited to; monthly newsletters, TrackMoore systems to support our AEDs, documentation and tracking of EHS training, etc.
- Assist EHS Safety Specialist and Manager with all near-miss and accident reports, accident investigations and OSHA recordable incidents.
- Occasional overnight travel required based on business needs.
- Evening/night hours may be required.
- Extra hours may be required during business emergencies or to meet seasonal deadlines.
- Weekend hours may be required.
- Holiday hours may be required.
- On-call hours may be required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Education and/or experiences listed below are the minimum requirements for job entry.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, environmental science, risk management or related field.
- In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 3 years comprehensive experience in environmental health and occupational safety, or industrial hygiene practice in a professional setting.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge, skills/abilities listed below are the requirements needed to be proficient in the job.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills, including Microsoft applications, and SharePoint
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance or the aptitude to learn including: OSHA 1910 General Industry and OSHA 1926 Construction Safety Standards; NFPA standards, EPA, Life Safety Code, etc. and be comfortable researching other resources in the field of environmental or occupational safety and health; knowledge and experience in multi-state regulatory compliance a plus
- Demonstrates competent knowledge or aptitude to learn on delivering field-level training on environmental health and safety employee training programs
- Comfortable in public speaking and facilitation preferred
- Maintains current knowledge and can interpret information and direction regarding federal and state safety regulations, safety standards, fire codes, electrical codes, safety-related “best practices”
- Knowledge and ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence, accident reports and safety procedures; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions for accident investigations and site assessments
- Ability to use and interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical, diagram or written form as part of research and recommendations purposes for accident prevention
- Obtains and Maintains certification as an OSHA General Industry Outreach Trainer
- Industry specific certifications/designations are helpful but not required
- Encourages membership in American Society of Safety Professional (ASSP)/National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)/National Safety Council (NSC) or other professional organizations recommended and supported
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS: The physical requirements and working conditions listed below are representative of those required on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Typical office environment requiring the use of typical office equipment (e.g. computers, phones, etc.). Computer keyboarding, computer monitor and mouse use including reaching forward, grasping, finger and wrist manipulation, and neck bending and turning; near vision is necessary for computer monitor use. If working in an Emerging Workspace, or similar working arrangement, lifting of laptop equipment, files and/or personal belongings weighing 10 lbs. or less is required
- May require long periods of sitting
- May require prolonged repetitive use of the upper extremities
- May require lifting of more than 25 lbs
- Ability to work outdoors including ability to tolerate extreme weather conditions
- May be subject to chemicals, equipment, noise, and other conditions typically found in a commercial facility
- Required to frequently walk, sit, bend, and kneel
- Required to use hands and fingers to operate objects, tools, and controls and reach with hands and arms
- Required to climb, balance, stoop, crouch, and crawl
- Vision abilities include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus
- Involves operating machinery and equipment
Job Category: Facilities/Maintenance
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Mayfield Heights
Qualified Candidate: None Identified
Scheduled Hours Per Week: 40
Hiring Manager: Olivia Lynn Long
Recruiter: Jodi Januszewski
Employee Status: Regular
Gainsharing Target Percentage: 8
Number of Openings: 1
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Work From Home (100%): No