Cleveland-Cliffs Steel has an immediate opportunity for a Safety Engineer at our Cleveland, OH facility. The position reports to the Manager of Health, Safety, and Security. The Safety Engineer actively provides leadership, counsel, and performs as an effective facilitator to influence development of a proactive approach to safety and health and will provide technical guidance regarding safety issues, OSHA compliance, and safety performance.
- Proactively reducing and eliminating exposure to injury.
- Support a performance driven culture, aligned to the execution of Cleveland-Cliffs Steel Safety program.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to operations managers regarding safety issues, OSHA compliance, safety performance, and Cleveland-Cliffs Steel Safety program direction.
- Coordinate and support Safety Department goals and objectives.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Actively engage in the company and site Serious Injury and Fatality (SIF) prevention process.
- Interact with employees at all levels within the plant to recognize and address health & safety concerns.
- Support the Cleveland-Cliffs Steel Health and Safety program, protocols, and systems.
- Participate in the Joint Safety and Health program with local union and company leadership.
- Serve as a coach and mentor to line managers and supervisors and assist them in executing their safety leadership responsibilities.
- Investigate, review, and respond to employee safety and health issues, suggestions, and concerns.
- Effectively communicate injuries and safety related incidents to the operations and Manager of Health, Safety, and Security, as directed.
- Participate in injury/incident investigations and lead root cause analysis to facilitate effective solutions.
- Participate in regulatory inspections as assigned.
- Develop, conduct, or coordinate worker training as required for employees, new hires, vendors, and contractors.
- Perform safety audits and inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring on safety initiatives, safety regulations, and best practices.
- Gather data for analysis from sources (e.g., injuries, illnesses, near-misses, work orders, incident investigations, inspections, audits, etc.) and develop trend reports.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including additional hours and weekends as required.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety or Industrial Hygiene or related field.
- Competency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong working knowledge of OSHA and other governmental regulations that apply to this facility.
- Ability to earn respect, work independently, promote teamwork, and lead by example.
- Professional certification (CSP, CIH, etc.)
- Experience in a manufacturing facility
- Experience in a union facility
- OSHA 500 or 501 certification
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The Company is vertically integrated from mined raw materials, direct reduced iron, and ferrous scrap to primary steelmaking and downstream finishing, stamping, tooling, and tubing. We offer an excellent total compensation package including top pay with variable compensation opportunity, health insurance, retirement plan, education assistance, paid time off and more!
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that all Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment, you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call 1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.