Akron Children’s Hospital has an opportunity for an Occupational Health and Safety Specialist to join our team. This is a hybrid work-in-office, work-from-home position. The ability to work from home may change based on business needs.
The Occupational Health and Safety Specialist designs programs and procedures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work conditions. Investigates incidents and accidents to identify what caused them and how they might be prevented. Provides education to employees regarding workplace safety through various training programs.
1. Inspect, test, and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices to ensure that they follow safety standards and government regulations.
2. Responsible for OSHA reporting and investigation.
3. Responsible for employee injury investigation and prevention.
4. Evaluate data in order to determine the effectiveness of implemented safety programs and prepare written reports on findings.
5. Design and implement workplace processes and procedures that help protect workers from hazardous work conditions.
6. Evaluate programs on workplace health and safety.
7. Educate employers and workers about workplace safety by preparing and facilitating training programs.
8. Investigate incidents and accidents to identify what caused them and how they might be prevented.
9. Work with engineers and physicians to control or fix potentially hazardous conditions or equipment.
10. Work closely with Infection Prevention and Life Safety specialists to collect and analyze data in the workplace.
1. Experience developing and implementing employee safety training programs required.
2. Strong communication, both verbal and written, required.
3. Knowledge of The Joint Commission and OSHA required.
4. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
5. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
6. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
7. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in occupational health, public health, biology, engineering, chemistry, or related field required.
2. Master’s degree preferred.
3. Minimum of (3-5) years’ experience required.
4. Healthcare experience highly preferred.
5. Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS) preferred but not required and willing to obtain.
6. Associate Safety Professional (ASP)certification preferred but not required and willing to obtain.