Title: Site Safety Engineer
Location: Northern OH
Position Summary: Position reports to the Site Manager of Health, Safety, and Security. The Site Safety Engineer actively provides leadership, counsel, and performs as an effective facilitator to influence development of a proactive approach to safety and health and will provide technical guidance regarding safety issues, OSHA compliance, and safety performance.
• Proactively reducing and eliminating exposure to injury.
• Support a performance driven culture, aligned to the execution of the Steel Safety program.
• Provide technical guidance and direction to operations managers regarding safety issues, OSHA compliance, safety performance, and Steel Safety program direction.
• Coordinate and support Site Safety Department goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Actively engage in the company and site Serious Injury and Fatality (SIF) prevention process.
• Interact with employees at all levels within the plant to recognize and address health & safety concerns.
• Support Steel Health and Safety program, protocols, and systems.
• Participate in the Joint Safety and Health program with local union and company leadership.
• Serve as a coach and mentor to line managers and supervisors and assist them in executing their safety leadership responsibilities.
• Investigate, review, and respond to employee safety and health issues, suggestions, and concerns.
• Effectively communicate injuries and safety related incidents to the operations and Manager of Health, Safety, and Security, as directed.
• Participate in injury/incident investigations and lead root cause analysis to facilitate effective solutions.
• Participate in regulatory inspections as assigned.
• Develop, conduct, or coordinate worker training as required for employees, new hires, vendors, and contractors.
• Perform safety audits and inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure regulatory compliance.
• Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring on safety initiatives, safety regulations, and best practices.
• Gather data for analysis from sources (e.g., injuries, illnesses, near-misses, work orders, incident investigations, inspections, audits, etc.) and develop trend reports.
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including additional hours and weekends as required.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and experience required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Safety or Industrial Hygiene or related field.
• Competency in Microsoft Office.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Strong working knowledge of OSHA and other governmental regulations that apply to this facility.
• Ability to earn respect, work independently, promote teamwork, and lead by example.
• Professional certification (CSP, CIH, etc.) is preferred.
• Experience in a manufacturing facility is preferred.
• Experience in a union facility is preferred.
• OSHA 500 or 501 certification a benefit.
NOTE from client company to candidates:
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. By accepting (an) offer you certify that you are fully vaccinated. Company reserves the right to require proof of vaccination. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Human Resources.